CLICK ON IMAGES BELOW TO ENLARGE

20 May 2010

Good Old Little Boat

About 20 years ago my friend Jean Marc was cleaning out his garage and offered me 2 small derelict boats if only I would haul them away. I countered his offer of "free" with a $100 bid and took both beasts down to the boatyard. The first, a 14 foot wood rowing pram, was reconditioned and awarded to my goddaughter to encourage her explorations of the salt marshes around Brigantine NJ. The second, a Howmar 8 footer, became my knockabout hard dink. I have never looked back.

Initially the Howmar was a total wreck. I had to rebuild the transom, the motor mount, reinforce the gunwales, fit "new" hardware (actually old bronze parts lying around the yard), etc. I cruised with this dink for over 17 years when, preparing for Kerry Deare's re-entry into polite society, I decided her tender needed a face lift. The picture tells the story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving your goddaughter a shout. The pram is (presumably) living out its days at YMCA Camp Tockwogh on the Chesapeake.

    Good sailing

    ReplyDelete