CLICK ON IMAGES BELOW TO ENLARGE

18 June 2010

To Block Island RI:Thur 17 and Fri 18 Jun - Plenty of Sunshine, Big NW Winds, Big Short Seas, Light NW Winds, Slight Seas

Next morning I entered the south end of the Point Pleasant Canal at 0630 heading for Manasquan Inlet and the Atlantic Ocean. I always find this chore unnerving due to the nature of the currents in the Canal itself and at the two bridges. All that is required for a major disaster is one little slip up with the diesel. However we made it without a problem this time and set out at 0730 upon a rather lumpy ocean, with the wind filling in with authority at NW 15 to 18 knots with gusts. There was an uncomfortable aspect to the motion with rather short seas from the NW and a slight SW swell. I set the Number 3 Genoa and two reefs in the new main and we were off and running up the coast.

Once I got set up with the wind vane doing all the work, there was not much to do but hold on, since reading and cooking would have to wait until we enjoyed more civilized conditions. That I did about 30 hours later at Block Island RI (map at left). We had heavy winds and unkind seas until about 0200 the following morning when things lightened up and the boat settled down slightly. Eventually the wind went light and this leg became a motor boat ride (photo above) for 8 or so hours until we anchored in New Harbor on Block Island.

I was happy to get the rest. Each trip starts out with trying to remember where I left my sea legs the last time I used them. I haven’t found them entirely yet, but we are headed in the right direction (East).

No comments:

Post a Comment