CLICK ON IMAGES BELOW TO ENLARGE

12 August 2010

Ramea Day Two: 12 Aug - Progress and Fun

The music doesn't start until Friday afternoon (tomorrow) making today an opportunity to get Kerry Deare (left) ready for the return to Nova Scotia. The trip will require additional fuel, full water tanks, a stocked ice box, checks of all gear and equipment, etc. I was able to get quite a bit accomplished in this regard, but the real action was elsewhere.

I decided to take an early morning walk, so coffee cup in hand I headed in the direction of the ferry dock, the lifeline for a community like Ramea. The coastal ferry Gallipoli was tied alongside and I stared at her impressive gear and size. As I was heading back toward the wharf I noticed a sprightly gentleman approaching in uniform and on a whim I asked if he was the ferry captain. Captain Les Cutler (photo left) replied in the affirmative and asked if I would like a tour of the bridge of his vessel. You can guess my answer. The tour was exciting, informative, and elaborate, and is the subject of a separate blog entry posted today (12 Aug). However the highlight of the tour was Captain Cutler himself. A true man of the sea and a gentleman to boot.

In late afternoon I set out in the dinghy to explore the many small islands that comprise the Ramea archipelago. I studied the chart a few minutes before setting off but I was unprepared for the complexity of this area. In fact I am pretty sure I lost my way and at one point I was not sure how to proceed. The best plan was to retrace my steps, and that worked. I'd been told I might see puffins on the islands, but that did not happen. Even without puffins, the exploration was beyond ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment